Friday, June 19, 2009

Amsterdam Assembly

Unlike most bloggers, I rarely write a blog entry in close proximity to the inspirational event. The problem is that I am far too good at keeping busy (aka procrastinating) - planning the next trip, going to the gym, ‘puttering’ around the apartment and occasionally hunting for a job. Today, however, I have inadvertently given myself ample time in front of my computer without access to my usual procrastination tactics.

What should have been a 3 hour train ride from Amsterdam to Brussels has magically turned into a 6 hour journey to Paris and back...I was so engrossed in writing my latest overdue blog entry that I missed my stop! I would have loved to stay in Paris for the night but unfortunately I need to get back to Brussels to show our apartment to some potential new renters.

Onto Amsterdam… Four of us converged on Amsterdam for a festive weekend: Chana, Jerel, Mom and Katharina (plus Mom’s colleague Jennifer). The timing was perfect: Katharina had just aced the last portion of her medical school exams in Berlin, Mom’s conference in The Hague had concluded, I was determined not to leave Europe without seeing this (in)famous city. Jerel and I arrived by train late Saturday night, and barely made it to our hotel intact… one of us (the newbie) was nearly demolished by cyclists several times on the way home, having not yet adjusted to the extra (silent) lane of traffic on every street.

Sunday morning we kicked off two days of wandering Amsterdam’s narrow streets, criss-crossing its cafĂ©-lined canals, and sampling its cultural and historical offerings. Jerel had to leave Monday morning, but was still able to join the crew for his most eagerly anticipated event – an evening boat cruise through the canals.

Aside from the abundance of bicycling juggernauts, the most memorable part of the weekend for me was our visit to the Anne Frank House. The exhibit was very simple– a few passage excerpts, photos, and videos - yet the experience of being in the space where Anne Frank hid for two years and trying to imagine what she and others must have felt was incredibly moving. Another sight that also merits mention is the very inviting, state-of-the-art Amsterdam Public Library, which I was gently encouraged to visit by a certain library-lover. I missed out on the Van Gogh museum (Saturday’s activity) but heard from mom and Katharina that it was very impressive.

Tuesday morning we all went our separate ways – Katharina by train to Berlin, Mom by plane to Vancouver, and me by train to Paris…I mean Brussels!

For more photos, please click here.

No comments: